Monday, February 23, 2009

Here goes the NAACP






"NAACP takes aim at PostBuzz users have been all over the New York Post chimp-cartoon story, and this weekend was no exception. On Saturday, the NAACP called for a boycott of the paper over a cartoon it published depicting a slain chimp as the author of the stimulus bill. Some have interpreted the cartoon as a racially tinged and violent slap at President Obama. The paper says it merely critiques the stimulus by satirically linking it to the recent mauling of a woman by a 200-pound chimpanzee. The Post did offer, however, an apology, which critics have called tepid. In addition to urging the boycott, the NAACP called for Post editor Col Allan and cartoonist Sean Delonas to be fired."

Ok, I don't think I feel this way just because I am white, but I did almost get in an argument at work about this.  Political cartoons are usually offensive if taken in a certain light.  I fear that it is going to end up being that anything said against Obama is going to be made out to be a racist comment.  (On a side note, I think it is hilarious that the term "colored people" is still used in their organization's name but if I called one of them colored I'd be shot, or worse, sued.)  Why can't we just all be people?  

I have a question though.  I just got an extra $30 on my check due to this tax cut.  Thanks by the way, I'll try not to spend it all in one place.  But my question is how is the government going to spend more money than EVER and cut taxes?  I am not an economist by ANY stretch of the imagination, but it doesn't make sense.  Can someone please explain this to me?


1 comment:

Susan said...

That is a very good question about the tax rebate and new government spending and the only answer is that they will be printing more money. What I want to know is, Did we approve that? I heard it was just kind of slipped into another bill. Boy!