Tuesday, August 26, 2008

READY OR NOT.....

HERE THEY COME!!!!

Well, I would say the school as a whole was not ready for yesterday.  Each individual teacher was as ready as they could be.  For instance, the Kindergarten teacher was ready except she had no tables for her kids to sit at.  They are supposed to be in today.... hopefully.  I have no equipment for PE but I have several games in my back pocket that don't need equipment and one that needs bean bags which I am making.  Drop off....  Is it normal for every parent to come into the school on the first day?  We weren't prepared for that.  Dismissal was a nightmare as well.  We only lost 2 kids.  Not too bad, I guess.  After school we had a meeting.  This meeting consisted of things we should have discussed last week.  I guess this is what one is to expect when a school is completely run by men.  
They don't think of the little things.... like tables for 5 year olds.

I had my first experience with a class of 1st graders.  I survived.  After an intense game of Simon Says we played a riveting game of Duck Duck Goose.  It was all about following directions.  One thing I found out about 1st graders is that they all have a story to tell about a "long, long time ago."  And it takes them a long long time to tell it.  Oh, and the only time they can sit still is when they are telling their story, and sometimes not even then.

I am currently deciding if teaching is what I want to do when I grow up.  The lovely state of Texas is requiring me to take 3 tests to become certified in this state.  I guess taking the national exams and teaching for 5 freakin' years means nothing.  I'll keep everyone posted though.  

This picture reminded me of my dad.  Scrabble is the only game he really likes to play with us.  I'm think it is because he almost always wins.  His birthday was Sunday.  Happy Birthday Dad!

Soccer news :  We lost.  Big!






1 comment:

Ellyn said...

WELCOME to my world! I can't believe you are teaching elementary!

We miss you!