Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Too Many Hobbies

I know there are others out there with the same problem I have..... too many hobbies. I have probably no less than 20 projects going on right now of different varieties. 2 cross-stitch, 3 paint, make that 4 paint, 3 sewing, 8 crochet blankets, and I am sure I have missed something. Oh yeah, 2 crochet scarves.
I have punished myself....I can't buy any more yarn until I am done with one of the baby blankets I am working on. Not that I need anymore yarn. Or anymore material, or anymore thread, or anymore paint, or wood or canvas....... I also don't need anymore magazines of ideas. But those I always seem to buy.
In 2 weeks I am going to learn yet another handi-craft. I am going with my mom to the Martha Pullen Sewing School. I am going to be learning mostly hand but some machine embroidery. What if I like it?? I don't need another hobby!!! Sigh... You know, I can't understand people that say they are bored and have nothing to do. I don't think I have ever really had that problem. And when I am bored of doing the stuff I am doing I simply just start another project :). Hmmm, maybe that is why I have over 20 projects going. I think my mom should have had me tested for ADD when I was younger. I read somewhere that there are 2 kinds of crafters. One crafts for the joy of finishing something. The other crafts for the process. I am definitely the latter. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy completing a project. But it doesn't bother me in the least that I have a cross-stitch project I started 5 years ago still unfinished. Or a crocheted blanket that has been in the works almost 7 years now. It isn't like I don't ever finish something. I do...I finish a lot of things. I just prefer starting them....haha, Well, I am going to organize a bit and maybe work on something. I promise I won't start something new tonight!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah - you ARE a kindred spirit, Suzanne! :) I, too, have far too many projects that I've started. I tend to go through phases -- I'll do nothing but knit for a few months, then cross-stitch for a few (actually have a few things I started in college that I've never finished), then sew, then paint, then . . . well, you get the idea. I LOVE collecting supplies and materials, too. Ben finally put a moratorium on me buying any more fabric unless I had a specific project for it. It has mostly worked. :) Maybe we should have a "finish your craft" work day! :)

Suzanne said...

I love the idea of the "finish your craft" workday! That would keep me accountable for wrapping up some of these unfinished projects. Although I might need a few workdays for them, but if it was all I was allowed to work on then it would get a lot farther. Let's organize!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.