Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Selfish People

I admit, we are all selfish sometimes.  This morning, and every morning of the work week, I get to witness selfish people at their best.  I do bus duty at school.  I stand out front, keep the cars out of the area the buses are supposed to enter, make sure the traffic keeps moving, stop the traffic when it is time for the buses to leave, and record the times the buses get there.  This morning I witnessed 7 near wrecks.  Five of them were because parents let stopped and let their kid out on the street instead of following the rules.  They do it after they pass me so I can't get to them and stop them.  Then they speed away (not joking.)  Problem is that people get annoyed because they have to stop behind them so they start to pass and are passing them when the car speeds away.  Meanwhile their kid has to cross the street, and our school is in the middle of an outrageous curve, or cross where the buses are entering.  One of the near wrecks this morning did the same thing of dropping off where they aren't supposed to but this idiot did a u-turn right in the middle of the road and almost got t-boned.  Then the other one was a parent going way too fast and on the wrong side of the road around the horrible blind curve.  All to cut 2 minutes off their commute?  If I turn my back and get a car to move on someone comes in where the buses are.  One time the parent got stuck in there because more buses came in and then when she did finally get out yelled at me for it!  There is a nice sign stating she wasn't supposed to go in there.  And last week my Assistant Principal came out to help me stop traffic to let the buses out (which could be a blog rant of its own) and a parent yelled at her.  I have stood in the middle of the road waving at the car to stop and they keep coming and try to go around me.  Where in the world do these people learn to drive?  And were they brought up with any manners at all?  Obviously not and they aren't raising their kids to have manners either.  I see teachers, including myself, get cut off in the hallways, run over, it is rare to see a kid hold a door for a teacher, and just today I was coming out a door with a cart and my hands full and a kid ran to slip in as I was coming out so I had to stop so quick I dropped what I had in my hand.  AND I had to call him back because he didn't even stop to apologize or help pick it up!  I asked him if he know what manners were and he laughed and said "no."  To which I replied, "Obviously not because you don't have any," and then proceeded to give him what for!
I can't stand it!  Is it like this everywhere?  Am I so appalled because I was raised in the South where, for the most part, kids are still taught manners?
I had such a depressing day in light of all of this that I was glad to see this picture.  It made me laugh out loud!  Hope you enjoy it too! And remember, don't do something that is convenient for you when it makes an inconvenience for others!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is so bad, is that the southern children are doing almost the same thing, as well as their parents. No one seems to have respect for anyone else. I definetly did not grow up like that, and neither did you or your siblings. All we can do is try to change attitudes "one at a time".
That's slow go, but don't know any other way. Glad you are my child
and proud of the way you have grown up.