Thursday, August 16, 2007

My trip to The National Aquarium...the "fake" one

I live, what, 20 minutes from DC and today was the first day this summer I went downtown. Shayna and I decided to do something neither of us had done before and that was to go to the National Aquarium. Did you know there was one in DC. Yes, there is one in Baltimore but there is another one in DC. It is under the Commerce building or something like that....next to the Ronald Reagan building. First of all let me tell you that it is not free. It is $5 to get in. It was worth about 50 cents. I'm not kidding. Do you know what a Barking Tree Frog looks like? Well the picture and the exhibit below the picture...well look for yourself...
Call me crazy but those look like fish below. There were some pretty cool things there but not many. My favorite things were the fake exhibits. The highlight of my day was when a lady looked in awe of this one exhibit saying how cool it was and knocking on the glass to try to get the fake lizards coming out of fake eggs to move. Bless her heart!
There were some colorful fish....
But my favorite were the piranhas...This thing looked pretty cool too. It is a dragon something or other.

Oh, and when fish use too much eye liner (don't they know they're in the water?)

And Shayna's favorite, the turtle (you can even see part of Shayna in the glass.)



So now I can say I've been there. There are actually a lot of places I haven't been downtown. Where haven't you gone and what's your excuse?

4 comments:

Sign2Jill said...

I did know there was an aquarium in DC, but always wondered if it was any good. Thanks for the review! I'll try to remember to go to the zoo and not the aquarium.

The Spy Musuem and The Bodies Exhibit are on our list of things to do! Can't wait!

Katherine said...

Like Jill, I've never been to the spy museum. I also haven't been to the new Air & Space museum -- so I want to do that. My excuse there -- every time we had someone in town who wanted to go, I had a rehearsal at church. :)

I've been to a lot of things in DC once, but there are so many I'd love to go back and explore a little more in-depth (like see the part of the zoo beyond the Elephant house! -- but if Nelson has anything to do it we'll be going back soon).

Shayna Willis said...

You can see my boobs in the glass, is anyone surprised that this was the part that showed up? I also liked the woman who was staring at the Pirahna tank where there were no piranhas actually held and she was going, "Oh, cool! Pirahnas!!"

natlaquarium said...

We're glad you visited the National Aquarium. We recently launched a blog where we discuss new our features and give readers a behind-the-scenes look at what's going on.

You can read about it here:
http://nationalaquarium.wordpress.com/2008/05/28/extreme-makeover