Friday, August 10, 2007

The Random Question is...

What is the best time you ever had licking stamps? Who comes up with these questions? First of all, I don't think kids today would believe we ever licked stamps. (Why didn't I invent the self-adhesive stamp? What genius!) The sad thing is I can actually answer this random question! Who remembers Green Stamps? We had a White Stores grocery where I grew up and my mom collected Green Stamps. It was my job to lick them and put them in the little book. Mom, correct me if I am wrong on this, but I think what you did was turn the book in for different things. Things that have long since been put in a yard sale I am sure, but that wasn't the point of Green Stamps I don't think. I think the point was to keep me quiet and out of the way while my mom put up the groceries! Same as the Publisher's Clearing House envelope was "my mail" and gave me something to do while mom paid the bills. I licked those stamps too. I even got to pick which car I wanted if we won. (I always picked the black Jaguar but sadly never won it.) So maybe this random question wasn't so crazy anyway. Took me back for a little while. What about you?

3 comments:

Sign2Jill said...

Hi Suzanne!

Yeah! Welcome to blogging! :-)

Of course, you can read my blog.

Thanks for your sweet post. I think you're pretty neat too! (hehe) Love ya!

Kelli said...

hey! thanks for the comment! i hope to see you when we come home to visit next month! :)

Katherine said...

I can remember licking a few green stamps myself -- the regular store we went to didn't do them, but Ingles did, and so did a few of the ones my grandmother frequented (including White Stores, I think!) so once in a while I'd get that task, too! :) I also licked a lot of publisher clearinghouse stamps, and every Christmas, I'd get to help stamp my parent's Christmas cards, so maybe then, too. :)

Oh, and that is a TOTALLY random question. :)